Passwords are the first line of defense for many of our online accounts. Having strong, unique passwords is critical for security. But coming up with secure passwords yourself can be challenging. This is where password generator tools come in handy. This article will explore what password generators are, elements of strong passwords, how generators create secure passwords, usage tips, and how to properly protect your passwords. With the help of these tools, you can easily create passwords that provide peace of mind.
What is a Password Generator Tool?
A password generator is an online tool or software program that automatically generates random, secure passwords for users. The tool pulls from a wide range of alphanumeric characters and symbols to build unique passwords that would be incredibly difficult for a person or hacking program to guess.
Password generators allow customizing factors like password length, required character types, and allowed special characters. With one click, complex passwords are created to meet desired security levels. This saves users the effort of constructing secure passwords themselves that still meet requirements.
Strong passwords are random combinations of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols. Here are factors that determine password strength:
- Length: Longer is stronger. 12+ characters is recommended minimum.
- Complexity: Using the entire range of different character types makes passwords harder to crack.
- Unpredictability: Random characters avoid common words and patterns that are easily guessed.
- Uniqueness: Each account should have its own distinct password rather than reusing passwords.
Password generators allow controlling these factors to create passwords as secure as needed for given account sensitivity.
Create Secure Passwords
Here is how password generators create strong, random passwords:
- Pull from full set of alphanumeric characters: a-z A-Z 0-9 + symbols.
- Use a cryptographically secure random number generator.
- Avoid dictionary words and context-specific characters.
- Allow specifying minimum length and required character types.
- Provide options to exclude ambiguous characters like 0/O, 1/l.
- Present final password with option to regenerate if needed.
The resulting passwords provide immense combinations that only computers could possibly guess through brute force.
How to Create Secure Passwords
Follow these tips when using a password generator:
- Specify minimum 12 character length for adequate security.
- Require at least one uppercase, lowercase, number and symbol.
- Avoid custom keywords that weaken randomness.
- If needed, exclude ambiguous characters.
- For high security accounts, request 20+ character passwords.
- Paste generated passwords rather than retyping.
- Use a unique password for every account rather than duplicating.
- Consider using a password manager to store generated passwords safely.
Following these best practices results in extremely secure passwords.
How to Protect Passwords
Here are some key ways to protect your passwords:
- Never share passwords with anyone, including tech support. Legitimate tech staff will never ask for your password.
- Only enter passwords at legitimate login pages, not in emails/messages. Beware phishing scams.
- Never store passwords in readable documents. Use encrypted password managers instead.
- Change important passwords every 90 days or whenever a breach occurs.
- Enable multi-factor authentication for accounts when available.
- Monitor accounts for unauthorized access and report concerns promptly.
Combining password generator tools with safe password hygiene provides the best security.
Password generators take the hassle and frustration out of creating secure passwords. With advanced algorithms, customization options, and ease of use, password generators are invaluable for conveniently constructing passwords that resist cracking and misuse. Just be sure to use them thoughtfully, never reuse passwords, and keep your passwords properly protected. Your online accounts will thank you for utilizing these tools!